Whoo! There is nothing that gets me hyped for the new year like looking at all the amazing content coming our way in the next 365 days. If the title of this blog was no indication, I am a huge – like, gargantuan – fan of science fiction and fantasy. I’d say it makes up about 95% of the media I consume. I can’t get enough, and naturally, this is going to be a big old list of genre content coming our way in 2019 that I can’t wait to get my hands on!
For the record, when I do these sorts of posts I’m always talking about a new series or a standalone. The new worlds that I get to immerse myself in because let’s face it if you follow me on Goodreads and you can see that I’ve rated all the books in a series thus far 4-5 stars you can bet that I’m excited for the next one. There’s nothing all that surprising about that. Onto the list!
- Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon – I am a massive fan of Shannon’s debut series The Bone Season, and when I read about this high fantasy I was pumped. I can’t wait to read it!
- The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern – In case you didn’t know, my favourite book of all time is Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus. I’m sad I have to wait until almost the end of the year, but I am so excited to read the next book by this author!
- Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia – Mayan God of Death. That was all I needed to know.
- This is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone – Time agents who become pen pals while battling through time is a concept I can hardly wrap my head around and I definitely want to read!
- The Haunting of Tram Car 015 by P. Djèlí Clark – A fantasy mystery story set in Cairo. Need I say more?
- The Dreamers by Karen Thompson Walker – Again, another really unusual concept that has me intrigued. And the cover is just stunning. Catches my eye every time!
- A Queen for All the Worlds by Kat Howard – I don’t even know that I fully understand what the book is about but the mini-synopsis has me so intrigued!
I only watch genre movies and Marvel has consistently put out decent movies since Iron Man back in 2008. I realize for some Marvel burn out is a thing, but it has yet to happen to me and I will happily devour all of the Marvel movies as long as Disney keeps pumping them out. Thus, there will always be Marvel movies on this list, and as such, I’ve decided to include them as a single item.
- The Marvel Line Up: Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame, and Spider-Man: Far From Home – While I’m excited for all of them, I can tell you right now that as I’ve been picking up the comics I am most excited for Captain Marvel. I cannot wait to watch that movie!
- Detective Pikachu – I was not at all interested in this movie. Until I saw the trailer. I don’t expect it to be particularly good or to surprise me in any way but I was completely taken aback by the trailer (in a good way) and I can’t stop thinking about it. Thus, it makes the list. Doesn’t hurt that I am a huge Pokemon fan.
- Men in Black International – I was a huge fan of the first Men in Black movie, though not so much its sequels. I’m also a big fan of Tessa Thomspon and Chris Hemsworth and I love aliens and sci-fi. Thus, this movie caught my eye.
- Star Wars Episode IX – My most anticipated movie of this year. The Force Awakens got me absolutely hooked on Star Wars and turned me into a hardcore fan. I absolutely love Star Wars – so much so that I even have a Pinterest board dedicated to it. I cannot wait to see the end of the latest trilogy!
- Kingdom Hearts III – I have played every single Kingdom Hearts game, watched videos and read posts on theories and explanations of its convoluted storyline. Despite it all, I am invested in those characters and appreciate the delicious serving of Disney I get with each instalment. Kingdom Hearts was released in 2002, so after almost two decades we finally get to the end of this story.
- Anthem – This actually made it to my 2018 Most Anticipated list as well, back when we didn’t know its release date and there was speculation for late 2018. I still have some bitter feelings towards it, as Mass Effect is one of my favourite games of all time, but I can’t help but be interested in the concept, and I just love science fiction games, especially planet-hoping space operas.
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order – Not actually sure if we’re going to get this game this year, but I am itching to get my hands on a single-player, story-driven Star Wars game. Despite the controversy, I enjoyed Battlegrounds 2, but I’m not the biggest fan of pvp and multiplayer games. I am hyped for this, let me tell you.
- Pokemon – Honestly we know next to nothing about it, but I have really enjoyed the recent entries, and I am just excited to play a shiny new Pokemon game on the switch. It’ll be exciting to see what they can do with the core titles on the Switch instead of the older 3DS system.
- Animal Crossing – Probably the thing we know least about but I played so much New Leaf, it is probably shameful, including purchasing a second cartridge so I could build another town. I’ve got another Pinterest board for Animal Crossing related goodness as well. Not really a science fiction or fantasy sort of game, but I am pumped for it none the less. So it makes the list.
And that is a short list of what I’m excited for this year. Obviously I am excited for quite a bit more, but these are the at the absolute top. I am always looking to add to my never-ending list of things to read, watch and play – is there anything here that I have missed that might be worth a look? What made it onto your most anticipated lists?